Resources for teaching and learning
ASU: Mapping the ASU Library map collection
- "The 3D Explorer is an interactive 3D web scene that literally maps the ASU Library map collection, the Map and Geospatial Hub. With some powerful search and visualization features, the tool allows anyone, from anywhere in the world, to virtually visit and explore the thousands of maps and other materials housed in the Map and Geospatial Hub as if they were physically located in the space itself."
Minneapolis Fed: The Geography of Remote Work - "Many high-skill service workers started to work remotely, withdrawing spending from big-city consumer service industries dependent on their demand. As a result, low-skill service workers in big cities bore most of the recent pandemic’s economic impact. Our findings have broader implications for the distributional consequences of the U.S. economy’s transition to more remote work."
On and off campus
Utah: View your classes on the campus map
- Students can now track locations for their registered courses directly from their CIS portal. The program will indicate locations for on campus classes, and indicate which classes may be held offsite, online or through canvas. The tool is integrated with the campus map.
Franklin News Report: Summer interns learn about local government -
Franklin County hosted three interns from three different Virginia
state schools this summer using funds from A GO Virginia Grant. Rebecca
Walters, a Virginia Tech student working on her undergraduate degree in
geography and geographic information system (GIS), worked with the
tourism and GIS departments.
Rolling Out: Will Smith inks new deal with ‘National Geographic’
- His current project with NatGeo debuts later this year. “Welcome to Earth” explores remote places on the earth with explorers including deep-sea divers and mountain climbers. The new deal is "a five-year first-look TV deal for unscripted content with National Geographic."
Higher Ed Webinar: Demystifying Deep Learning Analysis for your Students
- Sept 6, 9 am PT. "ArcGIS comes with deep learning tools and APIs to support a wide range of uses. Deep learning models and automated tasks can be performed for object classification and detection, pixel classification, and change detection. This webinar will guide you on how to incorporate deep leaning tools and capabilities in your curriculum."
Esri: University of Vermont Students Gain Competitive Skills, Combining GIS and R Programming Language
"For the first time in January 2020, the UVM's Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources offered a course that bridged the gap between GIS technology and computational programming—subjects previously taught in silos. The hybrid course, titled Geospatial Computation, became a requirement for the Geospatial Technologies (GST) minor and is also included in the Geographic Information Systems and Data Communication Professional Certificate program."
Creekside High School: Uniquely Florida Competition
- "Spring of 2021 had students in Creekside’s Academy of Environmental Sciences busy working on the Uniquely Florida StoryMap competition with the organization ESRI [sic]
, The University of Central Florida and CitizenScience GIS [sic]