The screen shot below is from a website/app called CityMaps. This is part of New York City.
- Is this map compelling? Why?
- When would you use this type of map vs. say Google Maps?
- What do you think the goal of this type of mapping is?
- What might you change (in the types of data, symbology, etc.) to meet that goal better?
- Is this map fair to "mom and pop" businesses?
- What data layer(s) are "left out" of the map to make the map more effective?
I found this article in Co.DESIGN helpful in thinking about this map. For now the website and app are live for NYC, San Francisco and Austin.